As you may be aware, Hogsback is experiencing a severe water crisis at the moment with many of the establishments, dependent on our municipal water supply- which has dried up, having a water shortage. It also does not help that we did not have a lot of rain over our normal rainy summer season and no good snow storms so far…but who knows???!!
But in the meantime, the reality is that Hogsback is severely water-deprived. We, therefore, ask our visitors, to work with us on “saving the last drop”!! We are mostly using rainwater and hoping that it will last until the end of winter, if it does not snow. So it is essential that every visitor does his and her part in helping to save every last drop.
How can you help us save water?
- Bring your own drinking water along. For a weekend you will probably need about 5 liters of water per person. Another idea is to stick to drinking wine, gluhwein, gin and beer, which will be on sale everywhere!
- When using the loo, strictly stick to the rule of…..
If it is yellow let it mellow, if it is brown wash it down! Most guesthouses have aromatic toilet sprays that will keep ill odours at bay!
- Guys, come on!!! Water our garden plants for us!! We won’t peek!
- Do not let the tap run while you are washing your hands. Rather use the spray bottles to wet and wash your hands. If there are waterless hand sanitisers available, use that or bring your own hand sanitiser along.
- When you brush your teeth, use the drinking cup to rinse rather than letting the tap run. Every drop counts!!
- Shower together and keep it (very) brief!! A two-minute shower uses on average, 44 liters of water. Do not even think about taking a bath!! (It uses between 150 and 200 liters). So rather consider doing a “top and tails” while you visit. You can also use the aromatic toilet spray to freshen up those weary armpits! Also, use the buckets provided to catch the first flow of water before it warms up. Use that water to flush the toilet.
- Don’t wash your hair! There are loads of very cool looking beanies, warm hats and cozy head-gear for sale around the village, to hide uncool hair. And in any case, in Hogsback, we love wild hair!!
- Only wash plates when it is necessary. This is a great excuse for those who hate washing dishes, but also a plea to those who love clean dishes to let it pile up and then do a big wash. Wipe dishes with a paper cloth rather than rinsing them. Even better yet – use paper plates or go and eat out at any one of our amazing restaurants.
- Only boil enough water for your warm drinks.
- Bring your own towels and/or linen!!!! Washing linen and especially towels take lots and lots of water!! So how about bringing your own and taking it back with you when you leave to wash where you do not have such severe water restrictions! Your host may even give you a discount or a night-for-free voucher for your next visit!!
Remember, you do not need water to have loads of fun, but you do need water to live. So help us look after our water supplies by being #wateraware!
Do you have any other suggestions for helping us to save the very last drop? Share it in the comments below….